Texas is a beautiful place.
From the West Texas deserts to the East Texas swamps, it is full of diverse scenery and exciting adventures.
Despite not loving our initial orders to Fort Hood, we are enjoying everything that Texas outdoors has to offer. We hadn’t even found a house to live in yet before we took our first hike in our new state.
I hope to continue our family hikes and that we can make it to all of the parks on this list. Especially the ones where we can swim during the summer!
25 state parks near Fort Hood would make easy day trips for families stationed here.
Below I have listed the Texas State Parks that are within 2.5 hours of Fort Hood (according to Google Maps).
State Parks Near Fort Hood
Less Than an Hour Drive
One Hour Drive
Colorado Bend State Park (1 hour 5 minutes)
- Longhorn Cavern State Park (1 hour 6 minutes)
- Inks Lake State Park (1 hour 7 minutes)
- Meridian State Park (1 hour 22 minutes)
McKinney Falls State Park (1 hour 25 minutes)
1.5 Hour Drive
- Lake Whitney State Park (1 hour 35 minutes)
- Bastrop State Park (1 hour 38 minutes)
- Lockhart State Park (1 hour 39 minutes)
- Lyndon B. Johnson State Park & Historic Site (1 hour 40 minutes)
- Enchanted Rock State Natural Area (1 hour 45 minutes)
Pedernales Falls State Park (1 hour 46 minutes)
- Fort Parker State Park (1 hour 41 minutes)
- Buescher State Park (1 hour 44 minutes)
- Blanco State Park (1 hour 48 minutes)
- Lake Somerville State Park & Trailway (1 hour 52 minutes)
Dinosaur Valley State Park (1 hour 55 minutes)
- Cleburne State Park (1 hour 56 minutes)
2 Hour Drive
- Palmetto State Park (2 hour 1 minute)
- Lake Brownwood State Park (2 hours 6 minutes)
- Old Tunnel State Park (2 hours 6 minutes)
- Guadalupe River State Park (2 hour 14 minutes)
- Honey Creek State Natural Area (2 hour 22 minutes)
- Cedar Hill State Park (2 hours 23 minutes)
- Lake Mineral Wells State Park & Trailway (2 hours 39 minutes)
This is a big list! And it will take a lot of driving.
Will we see them all?
I don’t know, but we’re going to have a good time trying to visit all these state parks near Fort Hood!